LEGO Basics 3 - The RCX
|Level: Beginner||Duration: one class period|
|Grade Level: K - 8||Author: Lacey Prouty|
|Topics: building, structural stability|
To build a stable structure with the RCX
Students examine the RCX and then build a stable car.
Preparation Before Students Arrive:
- Possibly the activity LEGO Construction Basics 2 - Structures
- Have an RCX for each group of students.
In Class Activity:
- Have students look at the RCX and discuss features that will help them build with it such as bumps and holes for connector pegs.
- Have students play around with the RCX and bricks, beams, connector pegs, and various other pieces.
- Discuss how the RCX can be incorporated into a design. Discuss things they should be careful not to do such as imbedding the RCX into a structure so they cannot touch the buttons or change the batteries.
- Have students build a car with the RCX as the central structural element.
- Can you think of reasons you would not want to put the RCX in the middle of a structure?
- How many different ways did you attach pieces to the RCX?
- LEGO Construction Basics 4 - Outputs