Build a Snowplow
|Level: Beginner||Duration: NA|
|Grade Level: 1 - 5||Author: Elissa Milto|
|Topics: gears, ratios|
Students will familiarize themselves with essential building strategies and learn essential LEGO building strategies utilizing the motor and moveable parts.
DescriptionBuild a sturdy snowplow that can withstand a drop test.
Preparation before students arrive:
Place students into work groups.
- Read Katy and the Big Snow or another snowplow related story. Discuss the positioning of the blade on Katy and offer pictures of different types of snowplows. Or discuss general snow removal with students, using the following questions to generate discussion:
- What does a snowplow do?
- What shape is the blade on the snowplow?
- What direction does the plow face?
- Are the blades on every snowplow facing the same way?
- What other machines have a blade?
- Are the blades always the same?
Encourage students to apply the LEGO snow removal systems to real life and discuss why snow plows are designed the way they are.
- Challenge students to make their snowplows go in reverse without picking them up them.
- Students who quickly complete the challenge and are ready for the next step can be given lights and other advanced LEGO pieces.
- If the students used a pulley in their design, encourage them to change to gears.
- Encourage these students to be a "LEGO Teacher" and share their skills with others.