Elementary LEGO® Smart Activity
- LEGO® Education WeDo™ Robotics Construction Set (9580)
- LEGO Education WeDo Software v.1.2
- Computers running the WeDo Software (the number of computers needed is dependent on how many you have available)
Build and program a moving WeDo model.
Divide the class into groups of two. Each group will need a WeDo Robotics Construction Set. Have an area where the students can display their models when they are completed.
Each pair of students will build a pet using the WeDo Robotics Construction Set. These are the guidelines; there are no other limitations.
- Will have 20 minutes to plan the design of their WeDo pet.
- Are limited to using the LEGO elements in the WeDo set only.
- Must have a motorized part that moves in some manner.
- Must use at least one sensor.
- Will have 20 minutes to build their pet.
- Will need to program their pet with sounds (using the built-in sounds or recording some of their own).
- Will have 20 minutes to program and test their pet.
Note: Students who have finished the first step do not need to wait to start building. The 20-minute time periods are simply a guideline.
When the students have finished building and programming their pets, they will have to demonstrate how the pets work.
- Students can write a story with their pet as the main character.
- Groups of students can write a skit together using their pets as the characters and then act it out for the class.