LEGO ® Smart Activity
Amusement Park Designer
· LEGO® Education Simple Machines Set 9689
The students will build a model of an amusement park ride that uses simple machines.
Divide the class into groups of two. Each group will need a Simple Machines Set. Have an area where the students can display their models when they are completed. Start by telling the students that they are working for an amusement park design company, and they are in charge of designing a brand-new amusement park. Each team will build a ride, and then all of the models will be placed together to create an amusement park. After the rides have been created, each team will add other components to the park (trees, popcorn cart, games, ticket booth, and so forth).
Each pair of students will build a model using the Simple Machines Set. Here are the guidelines, and there are no other limitations.
· The students will get five minutes to plan their design.
· They can only use components in the base set.
· They must include at least one of each of the following simple machines: gear, pulley, wheel and axle, and lever.
· The students will have 30 minutes to build their amusement park ride.
· After all the rides have been set up to create the amusement park, the students will have an additional 15 minutes to add other components to the park.
· They will demonstrate to the class how their model works and explain how each of the simple machines on their model is used.
· Have the class vote on a name for the amusement park. Then, have the students create invitations for their parents, administrators, and other classes to join the grand opening of the park.