Elementary LEGO® Smart Activity
Crazy Motorized Contraptions
- Simple and Motorized Mechanisms Base Set (9686)
Build a model with motorized moving parts.
Divide the class into groups of two. Each group will need a base set. Designate an area where the students can display their models when they are completed.
Each pair of students will build a model using the Simple and Motorized Mechanisms Base Set. Below are the guidelines; there are no other limitations.
- The students will get five minutes to plan their design.
- The students can only use components in the base set.
- The students must include at least two machines mentioned in the teacher guide (gears, pulley, lever, or wheel and axle).
- The model must have a motorized part that moves in some manner.
- The students will have 30 minutes to build their contraption.
When the students have finished building their contraption, they will demonstrate how it works and explain how each of the simple machines on their model is used.
- Students can write a story with their contraption as the main character.
- Groups of students can write a skit together using their models as the characters and then act it out for the class.